Monday, August 4, 2008

The Passing of Time

Has it really been over two months since I last wrote a blog post?? I was sure it had only been a few short weeks at most!

Yep, I've been busy all right. Unfortunately, too much of the past two months has been spent scrambling to hang on to my heart in the midst of life-draining work. Fortunately, I had an epiphany during a long backpack trip a few weeks ago that got my journey back on track again. At least much closer to on track than it was before.

And what was the epiphany? I realized I had been living "in the moment" so much that I'd forgotten to live intentionally. It was a gradual downslide or I might have caught it sooner. I was drowning under whatever came my way, tending to each latest "have to" that either I or someone else demanded of me, while I watched in frustration as the life I wanted to be living passed me by. Now being the type of person who would just as soon make the most of every moment, this was simply unacceptable!

Conclusion…I needed to start living intentionally once again. No one else was going to make it happen for me. If I wanted to get somewhere specific, it was my job to protect the time and space I needed to move in that direction. What I'd been doing actually wasn't even living in the moment (I'm still exploring what it is to truly live in the moment while still living intentionally). It was much closer to living as a victim of circumstance, which is exactly one of the things I work with my clients to NOT do! So much for practicing what I preach!

I'm happy to report that since that revealing moment on our backpack trip, I've been able to set aside Mondays to focus on nothing but my heart-level vision and take action towards it. So far, so good. I've stuck with protecting that time against any intrusions (doggedly so…just ask my family), and I've actually succeeded in making tremendous progress. Life feels like it is once again back on track; I have my heart fully back again; and even when the dreaded "have to" things take over the rest of the week, I look forward to Mondays when my vision can come alive again.

No comments: